The call for papers for the Jean Monnet CiCe First Research Student Conference (14-16 June, 2016) and CiCe Association Conference 2016 (incorporating the Cice Jean Monnet Network conference) (16-18 June, 2016), at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain, is now OPEN.
Deadlines for proposal submission are:
30 January, 2016, for the Jean Monnet CiCe First Research Student Conference and
28 February, 2016 for the CiCe Association Conference respectively.
For more information, click HERE.
The 2015 CiCea / CiCe Jean Monnet Conference: Identity in Times of Crisis, Globalization and Diversity: Practice and Research Trends Programme/Book of Abstracts is now available for download by clicking on the following link:
CiCea is the Association focusing on citizenship education and identity formation in young people in Europe and the world. It is a dynamic and fast-expanding group of academics from across Europe, all engaged in research and scholarship on young people's social learning and their construction of identities.
We've formed this Association after many of us have worked together on a European Commission Erasmus Academic Network project, 'Children's Identity and Citizenship in Europe (CiCe)' since 1998. This project has only Higher Education institution members. While having started out as an Erasmus project, today it is a Jean Monnet Network project. It also has its own Website.
Our Association has individual and institutional members, and an elected, independent Executive.
Henry Maitles, of the University of the West of Scotland, is President of the CiCe Association from the beginning of October 2014.
President-elect is Despina Karakatsani, of the University of the Peloponnese and the immediate Past President is Nanny Hartsmar, of the University of Malmö.
Association Members enjoy substantial advantages:
copies of our Journal: Citizenship Teaching and Learning
- Citizenship Teaching and Learning is our academic referred journal, with material of citizenship education from all over the world. Produced three times a year, and published by the academic publishers Intellect, this is the essential journal for all academics in the field! Online access is available to all our members either Individual or Institutional. See our Publications pages for details.
eligibility to submit manuscripts to the our online Working Papers Series
- CiCea Occasional Working Papers Series is our newly established academic peer-reviewed online publication. All members are eligible to submit their manuscripts for peer-review. It will be produced annually and may be increased to twice a year depending on submission volume. Manuscript preparation details are the same as those used for our journal and may be accessed here whereas all communication regarding the Working Papers are to be directed to the Working Papers Editor here. A separate page is currently under development on the Association website where the CiCea Occasional Papers Series will be hosted under the Papers pages.
use of our European Research Centres
- we've set up eight European Research Centres scattered across Europe - Association members can book individual study places, or group research meetings, with hosts who will help access your accommodation requirements and local education establishments for research purposes. Members get an illustrated catalogue of the Centres at the beginning of the year/when they join! See our News pages for details.
access to our Research Support Grants
- each year we run a Research Support Grant scheme, where we make supplementary funding available to help groups of members in collaborative research projects. Details of when and how to apply - and handy tips on making research funding applications - appear here on the Association's website. See our Activities pages for details.
eligibility for our Best Annual Publications Awards
- each year beginning in 2011 we organise Best Publications Awards for the best research and practice publications of the year, authored by CiCea members. The first awards for the BEST PUBLICATIONS were held in 2010. Details of when and how to apply for the annual Best Publications Awards appear here on the Association's website. See our Activities pages for details.
reduced rates to our Conferences
- members are eligible for a substantial reduction in the fees for our annual conference*. The 2016 conference will be in Madrid, Spain hosted by the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (UAM) in early June. See our Organisation/Meetings pages for details.
* note that European Universities who are members of the European Commission's CiCe Jean Monnet Network may also be eligible for reduced conference charges.
access to archived copies of our Newsletters
- From 2008 thru 2015 members received our Newsletter, packed with news of activities, conferences, publications and research opportunities. (Last issue: 37 Jan-Mar 2015). See our Publications pages for all previous Newsletters.
vote and stand for Election
- all members can stand for election - as President or Executive Members. Institutional members get a larger block vote. Our next election process begins in the Spring of 2016 for new President (for six years from October 2018). Only Association members can stand and can vote. See our Organisation/Meetings pages for details.
The Association aims to:
- promote, strengthen and develop education and training for those who will work professionally with children and young people providing citizenship education and education to promote social identity in a European and world context;
- develop networks of information, research and dissemination;
- promote and organise conferences, training and events that develop research in citizenship education; and
- provide a network resource for organisations and individuals in education and training for citizenship.